"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." Einstein
IRISH ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT (IAWM) PRESS RELEASE - 25 JULY 2014
• IAWM CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE AND NEGOTIATIONS OF HAMAS 10-POINT PLAN AND CALLS ON IRISH GOVERNMENT TO SUPPORT THIS
• CONDEMNS CONTINUED ISRAELI MILITARY ONSLAUGHT AGAINST PEOPLE OF GAZA
• SUPPORTS IPSC PROTEST THIS SATURDAY
The Irish anti-War Movement (IAWM) issued a statement today calling for an immediate ceasefire and direct negotiations of the ten-point plan put forward by the Hamas leadership, which has been endorsed by the PLO. It also called on the Irish Government to support such a move.
The statement noted that the Hamas proposal has the de-facto support of the elected representatives of the entire Palestinian population. All the demands in the Hamas 10-point plan are perfectly reasonable and if implemented would lead to a permanent end to hostilities, a lifting of the siege of Gaza and a much safer and dignified life for both Palestinians and Israelis.
The Hamas ten-point proposal notes the following:
• Withdrawal of Israeli tanks from the Gaza border.
• Freeing all the prisoners that were arrested after the killing of the three youths.
• Lifting the siege and opening the border crossings to commerce and people.
• Establishing an international seaport and airport, which would be under U.N. supervision.
• Increasing the permitted fishing zone to 10 kilometers.
• Internationalizing the Rajah Crossing and placing it under the supervision of the U.N. and some Arab nations.
• International forces on the borders.
• Easing conditions for permits to pray at the Al-Aqua Mosque.
• Prohibition on Israeli interference in the reconciliation agreement
• Reestablishing an industrial zone and improvements in further economic development in the Gaza Strip.