20/12/2011 Syrian troops have attacked a northern town, killing at least 23 civilians, activists say. The activists said the town of Kfar Owaid in the northwestern province of Idlib was hit with heavy machine gun fire or shells. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says 23 people were killed in the area, while another activist group, the Local Coordination Committees put the death toll at 25.
The northern province of Idlib has witnessed intense clashes between Syrian troops and army defectors in the past weeks. Yesterday, security forces killed up to 70 army defectors as they were deserting their military posts in Idlib near the Turkish border, activists said.
Jason Ditz - Antiwar.com
Nobel Peace Prize winner Barack Obama is waging war in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen and Uganda and bragging about starting another in Iran.
In comments that were surprisingly bellicose even for the current political environment, President Obama bragged loudly about the number of people he’s killed today, urging hawks who don’t think he’s hawkish enough to “ask Osama bin Laden and the 22 out of 30 top al-Qaeda leaders who’ve been taken off the field.”
He could’ve also advised them to ask thousands of Pakistanis, Afghans and Iraqis as well, or the family of Anwar al-Awlaki, the US citizen he assassinated earlier this year, but the point was already made: an Obama Administration kills lots of people, and they’re pretty sure that’s what voters are in the market for.
Moving beyond that, Obama went on to more familiar hawkish territory, trotting out his usual “all options are on the table” threat against Iran, comments which appear timed to resonate through the Republican Jewish Coalition Conference, which itself centered on potential Obama foes bragging about how quickly and on how little pretext they’d attack Iran.
“Today Iran is isolated and the world is united in applying the toughest sanctions that Iran has ever experienced,” added Obama, saying his administration had done more to unite the world against Iran than the Bush Administration had.
28/01/2012 - 13:00
28/01/2012 - 15:30
The Irish Anti-War Movement will hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Saturday 28th January 2012 in Liberty Hall Dublin starting at 1pm. For details of who can attend and submit resolutions at the AGM see below. A full agenda will be available soon. To be kept up-to-date please join our mailing list or monitor this page. http://www.irishantiwar.org/node/1487
Directly after the AGM there will be a Public Forum "The Arab Spring One Year On" also in Liberty Hall for more details on this go to:
This will be available shortly.
28/01/2012 - 16:00
28/01/2012 - 18:00
On the 1st anniversary of 25th January Revolution the Irish Anti-War Movement, in conjunction with the Islamic Foundation in Ireland (South Circular Mosque) and Islamic Cultural Centre (Clonskeagh Mosque) is co-hosting a "Forum on the Arab Spring: One Year On".
Date: Saturday 28th Jan 4pm - 6pm.
Location: Liberty Hall Dublin
Cost of Entry: FREE
Chair: Richard Boyd Barrett TD
Further details will be supplied closer to the event.
Escalation of the covert US-Israeli campaign against Tehran risks a global storm. Opposition has to get more serious.
They don't give up. After a decade of blood-drenched failure in Afghanistan and Iraq, violent destabilisation of Pakistan and Yemen, the devastation of Lebanon and slaughter in Libya, you might hope the US and its friends had had their fill of invasion and intervention in the Muslim world.
It seems not. For months the evidence has been growing that a US-Israeli stealth war against Iran has already begun, backed by Britain and France. Covert support for armed opposition groups has spread into a campaign of assassinations of Iranian scientists, cyber warfare, attacks on military and missile installations, and the killing of an Iranian general, among others.
The attacks are not directly acknowledged, but accompanied by intelligence-steered nods and winks as the media are fed a stream of hostile tales – the most outlandish so far being an alleged Iranian plot to kill the Saudi ambassador to the US – and the western powers ratchet up pressure for yet more sanctions over Iran's nuclear programme.
The British government's decision to take the lead in imposing sanctions on all Iranian banks and pressing for an EU boycott of Iranian oil triggered the trashing of its embassy in Tehran by demonstrators last week and subsequent expulsion of Iranian diplomats from London.
It's a taste of how the conflict can quickly escalate, as was the downing of a US spyplane over Iranian territory at the weekend. What one Israeli official has called a "new kind of war" has the potential to become a much more old-fashioned one that would threaten us all.
Amnesty International USA
Syrian activist, Anas al-Shogre, who has been detained incommunicado since May, apparently for calling for and leading protests in the coastal city of Banias, is now believed to be held at a State Security branch in the capital Damascus. Reports suggest that he is in poor health and may have been subjected to torture or other ill-treatment.
One of Anas al-Shogre’s brothers, who is living outside Syria, has told Amnesty International that the family have learnt from an apparently reliable source that Anas al-Shogre is currently held at the State Security branch in Damascus, that he is unwell and “has lost a lot of weight”. This has heightened concern that he may have been subjected to torture and other ill-treatment. The source reportedly provided no further information.
Anas al-Shogre, a 23-year old student, was arrested during a security forces operation that began in Banias on 7 May. He was in hiding at the time. The Syrian authorities have not disclosed the reason for his arrest or where he is being held although, according to his brother, his family have made relentless efforts to obtain information about him.
Anas al-Shogre’s family and local human rights activists believe that his arrest is related to his involvement in calling for and leading popular protests in the city of Banias, and for informing the media, including the BBC’s Arabic Service, about human rights violations committed in the city by Syrian security forces. Amnesty International believes that Anas al-Shogre may be a prisoner of conscience, detained solely for peacefully exercising his rights to freedom of expression and assembly, and is concerned that he is being held in conditions that amount to enforced disappearance.