Irish Anti War Movement
RTE, 24th June, 2008:
As part of a week of events to mark International Day Against Torture, the human rights group has published a report on Europe's role in rendition and secret detention.
In their latest report Amnesty International accuses a number of European states of either turning a blind eye to rendition or actively participating in it. The report highlights six cases, three of which have links to Shannon Airport. In the case of one man, Abu Omar, the report says the aircraft that took him from Germany to Egypt eventually returned to the US through Shannon. In the case of another man, Khaled al-Maqtari, the report says the plane which took him from Iraq to Afghanistan had previously stopped in Shannon. And in a third case, Amnesty says the aircraft that took Khaled el-Masri from Macedonia to Afhganistan had also stopped at Shannon.
In response, the Department of Foreign Affairs said the Government is completely opposed to the practice of the rendition of prisoners. In a statement, it said no evidence has ever been produced that any person has ever been subject to extraordinary rendition through Ireland.
Archaeology Conference hosts US military
The sixth conference of the World Archaeological Congress to be held in Dublin at the end of June/beginning of July is hosting US military speakers and a session co-organised by the US military.
This is to let people know that the US military is co-organising a session and speaking at the World Archaeological Congress in Dublin at end June/beginning of July. The discussant for the session is Colonel Matthew Bogdanos who fronted the US military's pr team when the world's media focused on the looting of the Bagdhad museum.
The session is on Tuesday 1st July from 11-1pm and details can be found on the WAC 6 website. Go to:
Choose 'Programme' from the menu on the left, among the themes click on 'Independent Sessions' and then click on the session title 'Planning for Consideration of Archaeological Heritage During Military Conflict'.
Some of the US military speakers are also participating in another session on the same day from 8.30-10am. To see details, follow the same path as above and under Independent Sessions click on session title 'Working with the Military, Not Evil Just Necessary'.
-IRISH ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT WILL PUBLICLY DEFY BAN.
In a statement, the Irish Anti-War Movement (IAWM) has condemned as an "outrageous and blatant act of political censorship, the decision by Dublin City Council to refuse permission to the anti-war organization to erect posters advertising a protest against the visit of George Bush to Belfast, due to take place in this Monday June 16th. The poster advertised the Belfast protest, which will take place at Belfast City Hall at 12.30pm on Monday June 16th and the details of buses that will travel from Dublin to the protest.
The IAWM notified Dublin City Council (DCC) in the usual manner required of its intention to erect posters advertising the protest on June 10th. Under normal circumstances, any organization notifying DCC of their intention to erect posters receive an email from a Council official with in a day or two confirming permission to do so.
This is line with the current Council policy on posters that requires advance notification before posters advertising public meetings or demonstrations are erected.
However on this occasion, five days after notification was given, DCC replied to the IAWM with an email from an official who signed the message only "Clare", without any surname, that the Council were refusing permission for the poster to be erected.
They faced charges of aggravated burglary, criminal damage and affray. If they had been found guilty they could have faced long prison sentences.
Derry Anti War Coalition calls on the office of the Attorney General and the Crown Prosecution Service, in light of the jury's verdict of 'not guilty' to criminal damage charges, to institute an investigation into the activities of Raytheon at its various plants across the UK, with a view to determining whether Raytheon is a criminal enterprise.
Statement by Colm Bryce
June 9, 2008. At Gitmo, destroying evidence is standard operating procedure.
The Guantanamo "war crimes" trials took another shameful turn yesterday when the Navy lawyer representing Canadian-born Omar Khadr revealed that a 2003 Pentagon manual encouraged interrogators to destroy their hand written notes made at the time of the interrogations. Only last week the military judge assigned to preside over Khadr's trial was unexpectedly replaced, after rebuking prosecution lawyers for their delay in turning over evidence to Khadr's defense counsel.
According the AP and Canadian media, the new disclosure could be used to seek the dismissal of charges against Khadr, and in a pending Supreme Court case challenging the denial of habeas corpus under the notorious Military Commissions Act.