Response to the peace process in the middle east

>Who of this forum would call for "two countries for two people"? >Why, most people I would hazard - if the vote for the Good Friday >Agreement is anything to go by. I should have written these comments differently; I did not mean to imply that I or most other readers of this site oppose the GFA or will be irreconcilable if its ultimate outcome does not turn out to be unification. What I meant was that: 1) Both the Republic and the UK are, in law, mostly secular states, and; 2) To the extent that they are not secular states, I expect that most us think they should be. The British do not, today in the 21st century, decree that any Protestant from anywhere in the world may move to NI and live on land confiscated from Catholics. No one has been expelled from NI on the grounds of religion in several centuries. Segregation is much less complete in NI than Israel/Palestine, as evidenced by the fact that during the late 20th C, both loyalist and republican bombers and snipers often ended up killing members of their own communities by mistake; such mistakes never happen to either side in Palestine/Israel. The Republic does not, today, declare that it is a Catholic state or reserve 90% of its land for Catholics. I suspect that many readers here agree with me that the budding movement for integrated education in both parts of Ireland is an excellent idea. This would be almost impossible in Israel, since, for the most part, Muslims and Christians are not allowed to live in the same towns as Jews. >You smell of book. I used to be a a history instructor, and this is how I argue. Few Palestinian refugee-camp dwellers post on this site, and if they did, you would see a different style of argumentation. >Eyal is real. It would be more polite for me to address myself to Eyal rather than speaking in the third person. Eyal, based on your postings, I gather you are a thoughtful person worth arguing with. I suspect you and I would probably agree about most other things. Yet, it appears *to me* that support for a Jewish state is, in principle, totally inconsistent with democratic or secular politics. More importantly, it also appear *to me* that Zionism is, on the ground, inconsistent with justice for the Palestinians, normalcy or economic development for the Israelis, or a peaceful settlement to the conflict. It has been a pleasure arguing with you, and I hope to continue this discussion.

Created By: John Hurley