Response to New York Times (re. media standards)

Some American things: Mark Twain, "In the Mood" by Glenn Miller, Woody Allen, Jack Kerouac, the lightbulb, Moby, Benjamin Franklin, Martin Luther King, Johnny Depp, "It's a Wonderful Life", Susan B. Anthony, Dr.Pepper, Babe Ruth, "Catcher in the Rye", my grandmother, Billie Holliday, the New Deal, New Orleans, Forrest Forrest Gump, Michael Moore, spinach pizza from Chicago's near north side, Tom Lehrer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the anti-Vietnam War protests, Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald, Abraham Lincoln, Stephen King, Saturday Night Live 1980 to 1988, William Rivers Pitt, Lucille Ball, the AIDS quilt, "Uncle Tom's Cabin", the internet, They Might Be Giants, Edgar Allen Poe, Utne Reader, Jimi Hendrix, Dr Seuss, my Latin teacher Dr. Singh, Leonard Cohen, Frank Lloyd Wright, Velcro, Buddy Holly, Katherine Hepburn & Spencer Tracey, Rock City Tennessee, John Waters, Dreamstreet Bookstore in St. Augustine Florida, www.truthout.org, TS Eliot, Charlie Brown's sack of rocks, the telephone, Tennesse Williams, Marlon Brando, pumpkin pie, Adrian Brody, "It's the End of the World as we Know it (and I feel fine)", Cole Porter, my first crush Aaron Davison the preacher's son, George Washington Carver, Mike Myers, Michael Myers too, Ogden Nash, Peta, "Monsters Inc", Sylvia Plath, Mork & Mindy, Amtrak observation carriages, the Rocky Mountains, the Appalachian Mountains, Space Mountain, Cesar Chavez, Dr. Phil, Matt Groening, Harry Connick, Jr., Woodstock, the meteor shower over Lake Mooselookmeguntic in the summer of 1987, and Run DMC. It may have many social problems, it may be "only" 227 years old (which incidentally is only the years of sovereignty--by these standards, the Republic of Ireland is only 83 years old) . But to say that the US has no culture and has not been looked up to is as ignorant as it is insulting. Every one of us here takes issue with the hijinks of the US government, and every one of us here acknowledges that thanks to policy, life for poor Americans is dire. And that the history in those short years from slavery to civil war to manifest destiny to corpocracy (great word, BTW) has been bloody. But American people, and inventions, and social movements have had a huge cultural effect in our shared world in the last quarter-millinium. Don't generalise. It's dangerous.

Created By: Mollie Huggins