Response to Love to Hate

OK, apologies for being really thick or whatever, but I really don't see what you're trying to say Rolf.  First of all I didn't mention fair trade goods or boycott of oil in this thread at all (I have mentioned it elsewhere, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what relevance it has here) - in fact I don't have a  car, I use public transport (here in London) or a bicycle/hitching when I'm at home, so that's not something I even tend to think about.  If I did have a car I'd run it off vegetable oil, not so much for political/economic reasons but because my house is situated approximately 15metres from the sea, and I don't like to think of it being under water in 50 years (I know, I know, what I'm doing won't make a blind bit of difference to climate change, but it makes me feel better...)  Anyway, sorry, got a bit side-tracked there.  I do believe that boycotting and trying to buy the "fairest" goods is important, but not as a solution - rather as a short term mechanism which does in fact do some good, even if that good is very small.  The longer term goal should of course be to do something to solve the root problems.  However even by buying a packet of fair trade coffee at least I know I'm giving someone a half-way decent price for their product, even if I'm not solving the problem.  (I also have the satisfaction of knowing my money isn't going into the pocket of a company who indirectly helped kill thousands of children in developing countries by promoting the use of formula milk).

As for <<lip service>> or whatever, I'm not going to justify what I do/don't do or think to you because a) I don't see why I should and b) I'm happy with what I'm doing in life right now, I personally think it's worthwhile and it's helping people,(not necessarily to do with anti-war activism, although I'm interested in that as well). Yes it's a shame I can't reach the dazzling moral heights of yourself or whoever, but then we can't all be saints or the world would be a very boring place... :)  So sorry if I don't measure up to your ideal (whatever that is) but I for one am very happy with who I am and what I'm doing - that's not to say I don't know that I could do a lot better... 

Incidentally if you could tell us exactly what it is you do and what you think we should all be concentrating on, I'd be much obliged.  Then at least I could make a proper point in reply instead of rambling on vaguely like this...

Looking over what I've written, sorry it's a bit aggressive, I'm just a little bit annoyed at people apparently passing judgement on me without knowing anything about me.  I for one do not believe in judging others too much - that's partly a religious thing, not just a personal thing - and although I'm guilty of it myself from time to time, I try and keep it in check, maybe you could consider the same :)  If you weren't judging and just trying to provoke debate, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying - anyway, please clarify your point because I am genuinely interested in what you are trying to say (whatever it is). (And apologies for such a long-winded post).

Created By: Rachel Hicks