SOLIDARITY PROTEST AT EGYPTIAN EMBASSY, CLYDE ROAD, DUBLIN THIS FRIDAY 03 FEBRUARY, 3PM ONWARDS
In a statement released today the Irish Anti-war Movement expressed condolences to the families and loved ones of the football fans killed in Port Said on Wednesday night, expressed concern at the obvious organized nature of the attacks and called for a picket at the Egyptian Embassy in Dublin to protest against the Massacre.
The statement continued by noting that:
“There is so much circumstantial evidence to suggest that this was not regular football banter and violence. Eyewitnesses claim that the crowd was not searched as they entered, there were many strange faces in the crowd, the police left many of the entry gates to the pitch open, those who attacked the Ahli fans were heavily armed, the security forces did not respond when the attacks occurred and the army did not try to open the exit gates which had been locked. In addition both the Governor and Chief of Police of Port Said did not attend the match, which is very odd given that they attend all the games.”
Follow this link to eyewitness report ¬- http://irishantiwar.org/node/1573
John Molyneux, from the Steering Committee of the IAWM noted that:
“This was clearly an organised attack with the connivance of the military/police, directed at the 'Ultras' football supporters who played a leading role in the overthrow of Mubarak and have recently been chanting anti-SCAF slogans at matches.”
Asmaa Nasser, member of the IAWM and of the Egyptian Community in Ireland said:
“What occurred in Port Said on Wednesday night has all the hallmarks of an organised action against innocent Egyptian people. This was a dirty act by SCAF against ordinary people. But we will not let them split us, to create fear nor to create a civil war. We know they are trying to divide the Egyptian people.
Since the revolution one year ago SCAF has been trying to divide the people. It is trying to create havoc and tension between different groups of people. It wants to crush the revolution and wants to make it look like the actions of random groups. This action in Port Said is the last straw.
It is the SCAF’s actions that are making the mess. They are making Egypt totally unsafe, leaving their thugs to wreck havoc – but they are not going to succeed.”
The IAWM statement concluded by noting that the Egyptian people have now been tested to the limits and it looks like this latest act of grotesque violence against them will only push the revolution forward and hopefully bring an end to military rule once and for all.
For further info contact:
John Molyneux Steering Committee IAWM, Tel. 085 7356424,
Jim Roche, PRO Steering Committee IAWM, Tel. 087 6472737
Asmaa Nasser, Member of the IAWM and of the Egyptian Community in Ireland, Tel. 085 114 2417